Spring is in the air………..!
As we journey through this unusual time let us be thankful for the gifts we are still receiving. Music is a gift to all. Come, let’s make music to share and bring joy and happiness to the world.
CLICK here to jump to the school assignment links
CLICK here to jump to the Smartmusic registration
CLICK here to jump to the Smartmusic Class Codes
CLICK here to jump to the Zoom Session Schedule
Use the buttons below to jump right to the Skillbuilders or the Music Videos!
Smartmusic registration instructions
To help us with distance learning, Smartmusic is very generously providing everyone with a complimentary premium account to use until the end of June. This will allow us to continue providing high-quality learning to all at no additional cost.
Every student will get their own personal account. Families with more than one musician will need to sign up separately for each.
There is one restriction to using Smartmusic: You must use the Chrome browser. Smartmusic does not currently support other browsers. Follow the tabs below to complete the 2-step signup process
Do you have the Chrome browser installed?
If YES, skip to Step #2.
If NO, you need to download the Chrome browser and install it. follow these links to get started:
- The Chrome browser is a free download. Click: https://www.google.com/chrome/
- If you want to use Smartmusic on an iPad (NOTE: the app does not work on iPad minis – the screen is too small),
here is a link to the App Store: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/new-smartmusic/id1114202174
When you are ready, use this link to get to the Smartmusic enrollment page: admin.smartmusic.com/join
When you are asked for your band’s class code:
- Go to the class codes section
- Choose the tab for your school
- Copy and paste the code for your level of band. CLICK here for the Class Codes.
Class Codes for Smartmusic Sign-up:
Below you will find the class codes for each school. Click the tab for your school and then copy & paste the code for your level of band into the Smartmusic sign-up page.
Zoom session schedule
In order to safeguard our Zoom sessions from outside interference, Zoom session schedules and links are only available directly from me through email. Contact me through my personal gmail account or my MES band email account for information.
Call the MES office at (847) 805-1800 if you need an email address.
Band Calendars and Assignments
SKILLBUILDERS: Websites for Fun (and Learning!)
Want to work on better understanding some basics? Of course you do! Who wouldn’t?
Choose something from the list below:
- Note Reading practice: Treble Clef/Notes Above the Staff
- Note Reading practice: Treble Clef/Notes In the Staff
- Note Reading practice: Treble Clef/Notes Below the Staff
- Note Reading practice: Bass Clef/Notes Above the staff
- Note Reading practice: Bass Clef/Note In the Staff
- Note Reading practice: Bass Clef/Notes Below the Staff
ALTO and TENOR CLEF (What are those…?)
Here are some videos that help explain what a key signature is:
- Want to know how to read a key signature? Click here: https://youtu.be/9uP-rWuQ10s
- How to figure out the key from the key signature: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uP-rWuQ10s
Here are some ways to practice:
If you want to jump in and start exploring music theory on you own click here: Musictheory.net and have some fun!
GREAT MUSIC VIDEOS: Have fun and explore!
FLUTES with FLAIR:
- The wonderful Sound of Music for Flute ensemble. Don’t you love the bass flute sound! https://youtu.be/I68UaaK6KgQ
- The famous tune Tico Tico played by flute emsemble: https://youtu.be/QOp68FJO-7U
CLARINETS are COOL:
- Super Mario Bros theme song by Clarinet quartet: https://youtu.be/-_GtkhhXA0s
- A Star Wars favorite: https://youtu.be/YekgtQmamfY
- A whole Clarinet band plays the famous Irish Tune from County Derry by Percy Grainger: https://youtu.be/jmuavxhPFts
The WILD WORLD of WOODWINDS:
- The Imani Winds are a wonderful woodwind quintet. Here they play an original composition: https://youtu.be/23Yx9gWHh0E
- Carion, the amazing woodwind quintet from Denmark, combines fabulous musicianship with interesting choreography. Here is the group playing a piece by the Hungarian composer György Ligeti: https://youtu.be/txMWXvD8kL4
- You never heard “instuments” play like this! https://youtu.be/UcHBLIopjrg
- This is the famous violin concerto Winter, from the 4 Seasons, by Vivaldi, played by an amazing saxophone ensemble: https://youtu.be/2sa5RaiPLm0
- Harold Arlen’s Over the Rainbow played beautifully by a sax ensemble: https://youtu.be/HcQQuOsgLhE
- Bohemian Rhapsody by a fabulous sax ensemble, the Moanin’ Frogs: https://youtu.be/aU97GfSdUnk
- The Moanin’ Frogs again playing Let It Go!: https://youtu.be/gz29ikf3k84
- This video will convince you you should have played trombone. Check out this incredible group playing Queen’s Bohemian Rhapsody: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-m8MqIS6VEU
- The BEST one woman trombone band ever!!!: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bq9xBEpBrwM
- TenTHING, an amazing all-female Norwegian brass band led by Tine Thing Helseth (pronounced “Tina Ting Helset”) plays an arrangement of music from the opera Carmen by George Bizet: https://youtu.be/8aefuitBfWc
- This performance is by the German Brass, one of the best brass bands I have ever heard, playing four famous pieces arranged for brass: https://youtu.be/PbMNJjAW5o0
- The Empire Brass play West Side Story: https://youtu.be/Q9bCmb_yQrY?list=RDPztdcHkl-tQ
Take a virtual tour of Mozart‘s childhood home: https://mozarteum.at/en/museums/mozarts-residence/?fbclid=IwAR2gSB11PY-u22_lJBIAO_ZppCx9g04YHnK-qODvh2vpLGndguESyHfaSXw#virtual-tour
Watch how a Flute is built: https://youtu.be/L3XqSUrC8NA